How to add a newborn to Tricare

Updated: Apr 6

So you’re telling me that for the last nine months I’ve been carrying this child, and you couldn’t add this baby to DEERS or Tricare insurance for me?

I mean you could’ve just called them “baby on the way.” UGH!

I’ll admit, when I had my son in May 2019 I was absolutely clueless as to how I could go about adding him to our insurance. My poor husband hadn’t the slightest idea either, and he was headed for deployment soon after our little man’s arrival. Yet again I was left on my own to figure things out on the home front! No need to fear, adding your baby to DEERS is a much easier process than you think.

How to add a new baby to DEERS

Step 1

Step 1 is to have your baby! The labor and delivery is covered under the insurance of the mother. Congratulations on your new addition(s)!

Step 2

The hospital will provide you with a packet of paperwork shortly after you deliver. There will be information on postpartum care, new baby care, and forms that have to be completed before you head home.

One of the forms that has to be filled out is the birth certificate (an unofficial copy of course). Make sure you spell their name right haha. The hospital will turn that certificate into the state records department for you and the state department will mail you a social security card.

Step 3

Step 3 is receiving your child’s social security card in the mail. Generally, it will take about two weeks before you will see the card. Definitely call the Social Security Office if you don’t see it after two weeks.

Step 4

After you receive the social security card you can head to the vital records department. The vital records department will provide you with an official copy of your baby’s birth certificate. You will more than likely have to pay for each certified copy of the birth certificate that you need, so make sure to check whether they accept cash or card.

Step 5

When you have the social security card and certified birth certificate in hand you are finally ready to face the ID office at your local military base. You can make an appointment by calling them or by going online. Make sure that you either have a Power of Attorney or your service member can attend the appointment.

(I’m wishing you all the best of luck with this part, they can be VERY busy.)

For dependent spouses enrolling a baby into DEERS- You have to have your dependent ID, your child’s 2 forms of ID, the active duty service member or your POA.

Things to know about deers

Active duty families living within the USA have 90 days to add their baby into DEERS. Those that are overseas have 120 days. The official Tricare website has more information on the process of adding family members into the system. Thank goodness this is an easy process because even thinking postpartum can be painful!

Congratulations on your new little bundle of joy.

For more tips and tricks about military life, check out the rest of my military related posts!

17 views0 comments

Related Posts

See All

Hey! Thanks for being here.

It means a lot that you found my little spot on the internet, and you've stuck around this long!

Let the posts
come to you.

Thanks for submitting!

  • TikTok
  • LinkedIn
  • Facebook
  • Instagram
  • Pinterest